I feel like the Lord really has provided sanity during this time through various means. We are starting to get more of a rhythm and re-entering somewhat of a schedule that takes us out of the house. I actually brave it and take all 3 babies to story time at the library once a week, I started BSF once a week, and have somewhat systematic play dates at a friend's house. This schedule is key for me right now. Seeing other adults and having adult conversation is something I'm always hungry for. One thing that I can always count on with any kind of schedule though is that it is going to be broken, it just will, trust me, it will. So, I hold it lightly. Like when my kids get lice. Yep, this is not hypothetical, LICE! This is an easy one to be embarrassed about, but in all my online research they say "it's not a sign of uncleanliness." So, my kids not bathing very often is not the culprit. I mean, my kids don't bathe very often, but I don't have to change my habit of not bathing my children because, well, lice is "not of sign of uncleanliness" phew! That said, these new family members are not welcome, not at all. Get outta here! You should have seen me yesterday, doing a mayo treatment on myself. I was one hot mess, scurrying around getting everything done that I needed to. I'll post a picture I took if I feel brave enough by the end of this post. I literally did 10 loads of laundry and still have more waiting. It is kind of nice to feel on top of washing those things that I don't get around to as often as I'd like (like car seats). The kids have missed school yesterday and today (maybe tomorrow?) and it's been crazy! Meanwhile Ada is teething and drooling like a dog all over the front of her shirt. I mean, the whole front is covered. And Lucy had little white bumps all over her tongue that hurt. I think from eating too many pretzels, I don't know though. So, she's walking around talking with her tongue sticking out, with an occasional yelp "this hurts!"), while the babies are crying for food and Nate is shaving Will's head in the bathroom (his beautiful hair) to prevent the lice from taking over and Ada is pointing at her back left molar. Yes, "I have my hands full". So, remember, I did say that the Lord has offered sanity during this time. Well, one means of that is through my wonderful husband. He walked in the door 7 minutes late from work. I was about to say, "you know 7 minutes can seem like a really long time", but I held my tongue and he said, "I think you should leave". What? "You should go out and I'll take over". I won't go into how amazing this is, but it is. Especially given the fact that it is crazy time (4:30-7), everyone needed to eat, chaos was becoming more chaotic and... oh yes, I said I wouldn't go into how amazing this is... but it is. So, here I am at Woods, sipping on a chai tea latte that was given to me to sample by the barista and sitting on a nice comfy couch, borrowing someone's charger so I can just sit and write while my husband deals with who knows what at home. A good husband.
How else is sanity kept? Well, I rest when I can. With babies 1, 2, and 3 I would clean during nap time and get all caught up. Kinda gave that one up. It seems it's the only time i can actually just sit. I used to not be able to relax until everything was cleaned up, not anymore. In college I could not do homework until everything was perfectly clean- that had to go! I still LOVE it when it is clean, but realize the mess will come back, I need to rest. I try to get caught up at night time and it makes a huge difference on my day if I do, but there there are those days where I just can't bring myself to do it. I just need to REST. I also have to tag on that the children in fact bring me sanity as well. Those little babies of mine, man they are awesome! I just stare at them and enjoy every second of them playing tug-o-war, tackling each other and following each other around. Ada cracks me up and is blooming into quite the big sister. And Lucy and Will, we still try to get dates out with them and that is some of my favorite time. When I get to just focus on one and talk and hang- invaluable They're good kids. The Lord is good, he provides sanity, and not only that, but joy.
I would love to keep writing, I really would, but I must stop and not take advantage of my generous hubby. Plus I have laundry to do and my friend is coming to pick nits out of my hair tonight (a true friend). On that note, I suppose I will post the pic, why not really? (And forgive my lack of proof-reading, that's something I've given up as well).


15 comments:
I love the young mom! I have had one to many days like you are having and have had one to many people say the same things! But seriously your amazing! Your kids are darling, you are talented, kind and beautiful. You and Nate are seeing the true blessing in FAMILY, and I love reading it and be inspired by it! Good luck with the Lice! Just think after everything is washed and cleaned and bugs are gone you will be more caught up and things will be even more clean and organized for the Holidays:) Love ya and hope to catch up in person soon!!
I needed to read this. Especially with the possibility of twins looming on the horizon...
Thank you.
Oh! And I'm so sorry... I did mean to get back to you about getting together. We ended up being gone all weekend and then my grandma went into the hospital unexpectedly early Monday morning. This morning I woke up and asked myself, "How did it get to be Thursday already?" What have I done all week?
So many truths...no more "you're going to pop" comments please, 7 minutes late IS a big deal, husbands relieving you in that way IS the biggest treat, kids make things sticky and joyful at the same time, and even Madonna admitted on Ellen the other day that her family is dealing with lice right now. Love reading your thoughts.
You are seriously such a good mom! I have one child and think I might go crazy some days:)
I love reading about your REAL life. Crazy, beautiful, fulfilling, and draining all at once. :) You're a wonderful mother.
I'm FINALLY getting around to respond to emails and questions from my blog comments. You know what it's like to just get through the day, right? ;-P You asked about my B&W conversion on one of my posts. I don't mind sharing my 'recipes' if I can only remember what I did! I usually use photoshop actions. I think that one was Homestead from Totally Rad Actions with a bit of increased contrast.
Oh man, I feel you Shannon in almost everything you wrote, especially those first few paragraphs...we need to get together one of these days, but I'll pass on the lice, don't know if I could deal with it as graciously as you are, that might just send me to the crazy house!
Its funny to me that people comment on your large family, it wasn't all that long ago that large families were the norm. My grandma had 7 kids in about ten years and she had the smallest family in the neighborhood.
I love this post and love watching you do such an amazing job of raising your little family. Keep resting when you can because there will always be dishes to do later.
love you friend!
I could tell you had some extra time on your hands while reading this post! Yay for awesome husbands. Hey, I am doing BSF too. We've missed many days though due to who knows what. Such is life! I hear ya on the lice .... when I had them in elem school, it drove me absolutely crazy and totally grossed me out. Hang in there mama...remember the kind Lord gives us so much grace for each day. Miss you!
I always love your honesty Shannon! One of the things I enjoy so much about you....you are so real! Thanks for sharing! Also LOVE the pic of you! So glad you put it up!
The lice in your home makes me feel better about the worms in ours. I think we should get a bonus on our next paychecks. Oh wait ...
I so love your honesty! I'm ALREADY tired of being told I'll have my hands full with two 18 mos apart, and I'm not even SHOWING enough for strangers to know I'm pregnant yet... thanks for the glimpse into your life, it really is nice to know the truth of life with a lot of young kids. Hang in there and rest when you can!! I love that you can relax without things being completely clean, I actually aspire to get there in my flexibility and probably will soon enough!
I love your honesty Shannon, so refreshing! I laugh along with you at the chaos, although I only have 2. I have no idea how you do it?! You are amazing! Blessings to you and your sweet family.
Shannon, you truely amaze me. I still cherish our few days with you guys in April. I was amazed at the peace within the chaos, really, you deal with everything with such grace and calm. Sadly, I rarely even have that much patience with my 1. I could learn a lot from you! Thank you for your example...even from afar. Love and miss you guys!
And the real truth is that soon you miss this. All of it. The chaos, the crying, but most of all, the pitter patter of little feet. Thanks for the reminder to stop and focus on the positive!
Love this post - your honesty and your courage! XOXO
Post a Comment