Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Comparing and Contrasting

Boy, blogging is a bit more difficult these days. I'm pretty good at checking my e-mail and blogs because I can do that one handed while nursing, but it takes a long time to type one handed. However, I feel the need, because I am quite certain this whole time will be a blur and if I don't write it, I won't remember it.

The babes are almost 2 months now- can't believe it. This time has really zoomed by at an incredible speed. I must announce that they slept 8 hours last night - wahoo! The last few nights have been wonderful and I have been quite rested, only by God's grace. They are in sync at night time and I am a happy mama. Having twins has been quite an unique experience. When you have one baby you don't have anything to compare to, but with two, their individual character traits really stand out and I find myself continually comparing and contrasting. I've found that chunky Henry has ended up thus far being the more laid back guy. He loves to cuddle, be held and does quite well just staring at the ceiling. He also loves to eat! He's in his zone when he's eating.

As for Molly, she is an extreme girl. She'll smile and then let out a (what seems to be) random wail. I think some of it is gas related as she is constantly farting and burping. She is less cuddly and kind of pushes away and is a little more stiff I would say. She also is not as thrilled about eating. It seems like sometimes it still takes her 5 minutes or longer to get latched on and to be convinced that she wants to eat. All this makes her sound a little more high maintenance, and maybe she is, but she really is sweet and I think her characteristics stand out so much because I have something to compare it to. Oh yes, and did I mention she makes the saddest face and pouty lip ever?

As far as nursing goes, it's a going. To be honest, I haven't enjoyed it all that much, I mean, we've got constant stimulation going on and the result is quite tender breasts. I feed them at the same time about every 3 hours and it seems to be working out well. I also haven't needed to supplement at all which is great. With breast-feeding I'm just kind of playing it by ear and don't have any long term plans. It is a bit isolating and makes it hard to get out, so come spring I probably will start some modified breast-feeding, or if my body follows it's typical pattern, be done with it all together. I am thankful it's gone so well so far.

And how are the other kiddos doing? I would say overall doing great. It seems for the last 2 months we have had some kind of sickness or ear infection off and on which has been a bit trying. For the last week and a half or so Ada has been teething which has been hard. Her sleep pattern has been disturbed and she is just overall grumpy which is especially hard because she is typically so joyful and laid back. Today I did see some smiles and laughing, so that was refreshing and I'm hoping she'll have a little teething relief. Will is doing really well. He is unexpectantly sweet toward Henry. The only reason I wasn't expecting it is because he wasn't all that interested in Ada as a baby. He still isn't even all that interested in Molly (in fact I think he finally learned her name just a week or so ago). The boy bond is strong though. It's very sweet, I go in there and see that he has put his special blanket on Henry. He likes making him cozy and I like that he likes doing that. And Lucy, she's doing great. Her philosophy in life has always been, "the more the merrier". She isn't phased.

And mama? How's she doing? I would say overall well, but it might depend on the day you ask. I feel like I'm constantly holding someone and that my body isn't my own. The Lord is teaching me that I am here to serve and that is good. The biggest thing for me has been to remember to take things a day at a time. When I just think about the moment or day to come, I do fine. But when I think about the weeks, months, years ahead I can start to be anxious. And then I need to remind myself that the Lord has generously provided for me for the last 2 months of being a mom of twins + 3 and there is no reason he won't continue to do so in the future. I think I remind myself of this like 12 times a day- probably more.
IMG_7695

IMG_7686



3 comments:

sbh said...

I love love love that Henry is covered in Will's "blanket". Can't wait to see you guys!

Cory Ferens said...

I love the update, thanks so much for letting us know how you are doing. I am not dealing with nearly as much craziness as you and I feel overwhelmed by the touching and constantly being needed...I will keep you in my prayers.

Brenna said...

I'm so proud of you and so glad you are all doing well.