Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The deal

Time for the update of what's going on with the kids and fam. Let's see, we'll start with the parents.

Nate has about 1 year left at seminary, it is crazy that the end is coming so soon. We are planning on heading back to Seattle for the summer to hang with family and do an internship. I also might mention that in May we are going on a cruise with my family to Mexico and leaving the kids behind (yikes!) I'm really excited to have some time with Nate and my family, but it's going to be really strange to have only 1 shadow (from the sun, not Nate- just wanted to clarify) instead of 3. We are getting very excited to get to Bellingham and get the church started (Lord willing). It's startling to Nate and me how much there is to do for a church that is still over a year off- but believe it, there is! As for me, staying quite busy with the wee ones, but notice I'm showering more than twice a week, keeping the house more clean than dirty and currently caught up on laundry (pat myself on the back), so I guess that means the kids really are growing up. I love my kids- they are so great and keep me laughing- except for the times when they don't make me laugh. So, on to them.....

Will, also known as: chunkarunk (actually sounds really natural to say now), Mr. Man, and Sir William. He is a sweet guy, though I have to say "no" is his favorite word right now it seems. He is pretty laid back, but still has his opinion and loves attention. We always say that jury's still out with Will right now. However, we guess that he'll either be an electrician or chef. He is definitely "J", if your familiar with Meyers Briggs, and if not, that means that he wants things in their place. If there are dishes in the sink he'll let me know, if Nate and I didn't clean up the night before he'll walk around making a noise and face of disgust and will not stop until it's cleaned up, and he knows if something is put in the wrong place- trust me- he knows. He's a pretty good sharer and really doesn't have that much of a stubborn side, except when he does. Highlight of this last week with Will is debatable. Either the peeing on the floor after bath (with Lucy letting me know that "something's coming out of Will's privates", don't think she's ever seen anything like that before- a little shocking), the pooping in the bath (with Lucy yelling, it smells like poop in here), or him drinking the water from all the dishes soaking in the sink. Let's just say, he keeps me on my toes.

Then, there's Lucy. I just don't know how to describe her. Her name means, "one who brings light" and I still think that's one of the best descriptions. She has us in stiches with her new dance moves, songs, questions (and answers), and enthusiasm for life. She still loves to talk and would continually do it if it were up to her. When she doesn't have anyone to talk to she just talks to herself, or her doll, or a rock- she really doesn't care, she just loves to talk! Her favorite game is American Favorite (our take on American Idol), cleaning the sink, playing cooking show, and Monster. If only I had half the amount of energy she has I'd be set. We have found that with the "highs" comes the "lows"- but I guess that's expected. She can be having the best day and out of nowhere, a short circuit. But the short circuits are fewer and far between and the Lord's growing and shaping her into such an amazing girl. Oh yes, and another highlight is her learning to read. She has learned her letters, sounds and now can sound out a hand full of words. (cat, hat rat etc., Will, bill, fill etc., ran tan fan etc., how cow etc. She still struggles a bit, but she is getting it, and that's really exciting. I was a education major and loved to teach, but to see your own little one learn to read is more exciting than I could imagine.

So there's a quick update on life. It's good, busy yes, good yes. Thanks for checking in! Now, off to the next!

2 comments:

Kathy Day said...

Thanks for the update Shannon!! I love that Will has a streak of "neat freak" in him, and how exciting that Lucy is learning to read!! Quite impressive, that girl...can't wait to see you guys in the summer!

Sarah said...

I was so pleased to find the link to your blog on your facebook account, since I often wonder how you guys are doing. Your children are so adorable, and it makes me so excited for the "someday" when we will have some of our own. Little Lucy seems like quite a spitfire with enough personality for 3 people!
Glad to hear your plans are moving along, and we'll keep you and the church planning in our prayers. Nate didn't happen to visit a Chris Granberry on the Yakima Indian reservation a couple months ago, did he? Probably seems like a random question, but we are considering long-term missions with the Granberrys who are church planting a PCA church on the rez, and Chris' wife said a couple guys came over to visit who are thinking of church planting up in Bellingham... wondered if it was you guys...
In Christ,
Sarah Dempsen