Monday, March 17, 2008

A Soup Kind of Day

I was debating about posting this because "spring's here!" right? Well, the lightening and thunder convinced me that we might have a few more "soup days" so I think I shall post the soup. This soup was a team effort from Nate and me and I love it! As many might know, I don't really use recipes, but I will make my best guess and hope you enjoy it.

This picture doesn't have the cream in it, I guess it's the "healthy version", however, I think the cream's a must!

1 onion
3 leafs of Kale chopped (can substitute spinich or another green)
Mushrooms (I used two Portabella mushrooms chopped)
1/2 cup white wine
8 cups chicken stock
1/2 of whole chicken (I then use the bones to make my stock)
1 T Tarragon
salt
pepper
1 cup heavy cream (can use less if you want it to be a little healthier)

Fry onions, mushrooms and kale in olive oil for 10-15 minutes. Deglaze with wine and scrape all the yummy stuff off the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock, tarragon, salt and pepper (to taste). Let simmer for 15 minutes, add cream and ready to serve.

Tips:
This recipe is super easy. Taste it and add spices to preferences. Like I said, these are guesses, so don't be afraid to change the amounts. Also, I typically buy a whole chicken, use half the chicken for the soup and the other half for chicken salad or something. Then I make a stock. However, if you want less work buy a cooked chicken (or use breasts), and just buy stock. Also I buy "Winking Owl" from Aldi, it's super cheap and really not that bad. I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I have been.

No comments: