Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Shooting in the Raw




So, I've heard that you can achieve the most flexibility with editing when shooting "raw" mode. I figured out how to do it on my camera and started playing around a bit. Has anyone who's checking this shot in "raw" before? I'm excited to learn more about it, but it seems like it takes up a boatload of memory (true or false?). Also, in really bright light it was difficult to edit. Any tips for shooting in this mode?
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Chris W said...

I shoot only RAW. The files are bigger and can be a bit harder to deal with, but you are ultimately getting more color information and higher quality than you would with jpeg. It really only makes a difference if you're doing a lot of editing.

Also, when you shoot jpeg, the camera does some adjustments automatically when making the image file. These adjustments are not usually done with RAW files.

Anonymous said...

ha! I was going to say the exact same thing!

Jen said...

Shan...
I know nothing about RAW files; however, I must say that you're a pretty cool momma!
Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I know I already commented, but that was before I spent the last hour reading page after page of your blog! So fun! You are the kind of mom I want to be (no time soon, mind you :) ) Thank you so much for commenting on my blog, I'm really glad we crossed paths!

Wendy said...

Great pictures!

Stacie296 said...

I have no idea what you're talking about. I like the pictures though. :-)

Alyssa Reeve said...

I also have my camera set up to shoot RAW. There is a setting on your camera where you can have it create a RAW and jpeg file of the same shot. I think it's interesting to see the difference.