Friday, November 7, 2008

Falling out of Fall

I'm definitely a season girl. I love the four seasons and am always in great anticipation of the next. Fall. The changing trees, apple spice, candles, squash, burnt leaves, the brisk breeze, bundling up in sun, scarves ...the list goes on. Then comes the anticipation for winter. Decorating for Christmas, peppermint mochas, shopping, blankets, tea, Christmas morning, sweaters ... the list goes on. Spring. Restless legs running outside, sandals, walks, iced lattes, playgrounds, adventures, blooming flowers ... the list goes on. And then summer. Swimming, lemonade, BBQ's, skirts, gardening, Margaritas and guacamole .. oh yes! Each season has so much to offer.

Isn't it funny though, often after just a month or so of one season, I start having such great anticipation of the next that I stop thinking about the season I'm in. In fact, I feel like I've skipped over Thanksgiving in my mind. Already I've started thinking of what crafts I will do for Christmas with the kids, where the tree will go, I've snuck in a couple Christmas CD's, and started thinking about where I can find a good peppermint candle. (I might add I do think think Christmas is a bit different and there is room for some extra anticipation, don't get me wrong). However, I have noticed that I'm forgetting the very things I love about fall. So, to prevent this premature planning, some action steps have been put into place. This week I'm going to be making a butternut squash soup and Creamy butternut squash pasta with Gorgonzola and apples. I will for sure post the soup as it's really great and really easy. As far as the pasta, well it will be an experiment so if it's a success I'll pop that one up here too. Also, I've been debating about whether to get another mulled apple cider candle for the rest of the season, and after having my friend Alyssa over yesterday and noticing my temptation to skip over half of fall, I'll be purchasing one soon. And finally, here are some more fall pics. So enjoy fall, soak it in, light some candles, have some cider!

4 comments:

Durr Family said...

I enjoy your writing. I never knew my sister was so...can't find the right word...deep, reflective, poetic...I don't know.

Cutzi said...

Hi Shannon -

Have been reading your blog for a few days and enjoying it. Beautiful photography, fun thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

-Cutzi

Michael and Mandy said...

I couldn't agree more. Just last week I was wondering if it was would be tacky to start decorating for Christmas. We are trying to slow down and enjoy these last few days too. Looking forward to the recipes.

Sarah said...

I was noticing the same thing about myself today. I love seasons, and I too, start to skip ahead to the change and forget to enjoy fully the moments we have. I also have been planning to focus on squash in my cooking this week, as well as sitting in front of a fire with some cider and my knitting. Tonight we're having squash pie and some squash soup too to go with our ham! Hopefully our dinner guests don't think i'm too wacko for using different squash in two different dishes...
Your blog inspires me daily to notice and reflect on the small things- your example of home-making and hospitality from the old days of "RC night" have always been a model for me as we now host a large 'small' group in our home. I especially find myself remembering your example from autumn activities for some reason, whether it was your harvest party one year or the weekly Bible study with yummy goodies...I hope I am the same example for my younger friends that you were for me. :)