Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The sound of silence

Silence makes me nervous. It used to be one of my favorite things, and it still is when I'm home alone, however, now when I hear silence it means I have to get up from the couch (which is a lot of effort these days), or stop what I'm doing to go see what is stirring about the house. I have walked into many interesting scenes and plots brewing. I've seen shampoo dumped in the shower, stickers decorating the whole living room/dining room, the massive dumping of toys (the rest have been selectively blocked out of my memory for sanity purposes). I must say that the silence is usually broken by my children's displeasure with the consequence.

So, the other morning I was lying in bed as the kids were saying, "mama", "can we get out of bed?" I looked at the clock and thought, just a few more minutes. "I'll be there in a few minutes." A few minutes went by and the request came again, this time I offered no reply. To my surprise it got quiet again. I was too tired to be concerned with the silence, I stayed in bed and convinced myself that they must have just fallen back asleep. A good amount of time passed and I decided I should go check on the little rascals. The below picture is what I walked in on. Lucy had climbed in with Will and brought blankets to stay cozy and books to entertain. What joy brought to a mother's heart. I quietly sneaked away without being seen and drank my cup of coffee quietly while the the kids and myself enjoyed the sound of silence.

5 comments:

Cory Ferens said...

Hey Shannon, I have been enjoying your blog lately, congrats on almost being "done" with #3! I totally "hear" you here on the silence thing, it can be scary. What a joy you were given this morning...gotta really cherish those moments and say "thank you God" what a wonderful present from him when you are that far along in pregnancy!

Lindsey said...

that is so sweet. i love your kids.

Kathy Day said...

that is awesome.

sbh said...

awesome.

Stacie296 said...

I've never been so lucky. Silence has meant either a body covered in Desitin, a new Sharpie drawing on the nice wood table, a huge chunk taken out of the cookie dough intended for marketing cookies, or a car 2 seconds away from being put into neutral so it would roll into our garage. I hate silence.