Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Easter Decorations

IMG_0815
IMG_0810

So, the kids had a legitimate concern, "no Easter decorations!" We kind of go wild on Christmas, but I've never been big on decorating with pastels and big fluffy bunnies- that's just me, so we haven't had many Easter decorations. So, we went out on a quest to make Easter decorations. After wandering around for a while I had an idea. We could sew little Easter eggs and hang them from some branches. We bought some beads, buttons and fun fabric and headed home. I told Nate about our grandiose plan and he said, "that's really hard". I looked at him and said, "I think it'll be fine."  He then started telling me about why it's mathematically difficult to change something from a flat surface to a shpere (at which point I started spacing out, not because my husband isn't interesting of course, but MATH, isn't interesting of course). So, I went to work and after a few attempts, my eggs weren't too eggy and I had to reevaluate the situation, yes, Nate was right. So, we decided to use plastic eggs and cover them in fabrics and buttons. The kids helped choose the buttons to put on. I hung them on twigs and not totally satisfied decided to spray paint the twigs white. I like the finished product, I don't love them, but we have Easter decorations nonetheless (most importantly) and I do think they're cute.  

6 comments:

nate walker said...

Cartography is an interesting science, there are a whole variety of different projections of a sphere onto a plane - some preserving norms, some angles, some shape - all depends on what you are trying to do. I can tell you more about it tonight?

Michael and Mandy said...

Wow...that sounds boringly...I mean strangely similar to conversations Mike and I have had...even about sewing. I like the decorations - I think we might try it. I was trying to think of something to do.

Unknown said...

wow, I wish I could be a fly on the wall for the cartography convo! Was thinkin' about you guys today in the car while jumping around to "The Fox." First thing when you get back here is a little "Musical Interlude." I had a little jam session last night, actually with Kristen Walters and Hannah Irwin...very fun! But we all lack confidence so we're calling ourselves The Insecurities.

I think your eggs are cute too and I like the button concept. It inspires me to get out our Easter stuff.

Andi said...

Shannon...I admit that I am not an avid blog reader. But when I do take the time to catch up on yours I am more and more taken aback by your talent, your eye, and keen motherhood capabilities. I look forward to learning so very much from you when you are back in B-Ham!

Lisa said...

Ha! Great story! Those mathematicians amaze me! Check out how Martha makes these glittery egss
http://www.marthastewart.com/article/glittered-eggs?lnc=010c60c3eb2fe010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD

lisa said...

you are so creative,shannon. great idea.